Retirement takes on many shapes, and Greater Tampa Bay offers a wealth of options to suit any taste, budget and needed level of care. A subtropical climate, travel accessibility, affordable housing and a robust health care system combine with a myriad of senior-friendly activities and organizations to make GTB an ideal place to enjoy their golden years.
Action-Packed or Relaxed, Best of Both Worlds
Life in GTB comes with a vibrant city lifestyle and proximity to picturesque beaches perfect for taking a walk or going for a swim. Many seniors gravitate to the rich cultural scene, with plenty of museums to choose from, multiple aquariums, theme park outings with grandkids, splendid dining options and plenty of sporting events to attend.
GTB has all the perks of living in the city along with a more laid-back, suburban ambiance for seniors wishing to settle in a more tranquil environment. If rest and relaxation are in order, off-the-beaten-path parks and coastlines offer quiet retreats, an abundance of spas await, quaint coffee shops and bookstores can be found on any corner, and so many more opportunities to unwind are ready to be discovered.
Healthy and Happy Here
Senior residents can also rest assured they can have peace of mind anywhere they go, with health care systems lauded for outstanding patient satisfaction and numerous, highly ranked medical facilities throughout the region. A lack of state income tax and inheritance tax further enhance the desirability for those supported by social security or savings.
An array of long-term care and assisted living facilities provide the peace of mind to know seniors will be properly looked after, no matter the budget or health circumstances. These facilities go above and beyond to help seniors out with everyday necessities, such as providing transportation, getting medications, scheduling doctors’ appointments, shopping, preparing meals and even helping with basic hygiene if needed.
A Home to Match Wants, Needs and Lifestyles
From high-rise apartment and condo communities with all the amenities, to completely independent and active living within comfortable, hassle-free suburban retirement communities, to assisted living with around-the-clock medical assistance and care, GTB offers a myriad of options for seniors of every budget and demand.
What style of living is just right?
- Assisted living facilities operate on a continuum based on seniors’ health and needs. They primarily serve those who cannot live alone, yet do not need the intensive 24/7 support and medical attention of a nursing home.
- Independent living or retirement communities are an ideal option for seniors who do not need daily assistance and seek the convenience of an all-inclusive lifestyle. Home maintenance, lawn care and security are among the perks, as well as an array of amenities than run the gambit from golf courses, clubhouses with restaurants, tennis courts, walking trails and dog parks, fitness centers, community gardens and resort-style pools.
- Master-planned communities for seniors offer all the features of an independent living or retirement community, with the added benefit of walkable access to a vibrant shopping and dining scene. These amenities combine with community-sponsored activities and clubs that help seniors nurture an active and social life. Many communities have an onsite activity director who can help bring neighbors together through communal events and shared interests, including group fitness classes and sports leagues.
- Age-targeted residential subdivisions exist within larger communities that have a diverse age population but are much quieter while still giving access to all the amenities. An age-restricted community only allows residents aged 55 or older to buy homes, bringing those in a similar chapter of life into a shared space.
- Equestrian communities for retirement are becoming more and more popular. Seniors need not own a horse or ride to enjoy the perks of wide-open spaces and stunning scenic views, while still experiencing a sense of community in an environment secluded from the hustle and bustle.
Sun City Center — Sun City Center
This independent active lifestyle community is located within a census-designated place of the same name, Sun City Center, in Hillsborough County south of the Brandon-Riverview area. The community also offers assisted living options and rental units.
Condos, duplex villas and single-family homes are located close to the beach and a plethora of community events and activities at Sun City Center. It is an ideal place for seniors to retire in comfort, fun and style.
Amenities and services
- 140 holes of golf
- Six resort-style pools
- Tennis and shuffleboard courts
- Clubhouse with game and meeting rooms
- Upgraded fitness center
- Large theater hosting a variety of live entertainment
- Shopping center
- Medical facilities
- Post office
- Places of worship
- Good Samaritan services provide rides to medical appointments, coordination of Meals on Wheels and an Alzheimer’s support group
The Colonnade at Carrollwood — Tampa
A luxurious assisted living apartment community that also offers independent living options, Carrollwood is known for its professional staff and experienced caregivers. Residents can choose their desired level of care from independence to assisted living, creating a tailor-made retirement plan that works for a variety of budgets and needs.
Amenities and services
- Assistance with all activities of daily living
- Emergency response 24/7
- Transportation to medical, shopping and social destinations
- Medical, wellness and nutrition programs and care
- Weekly housekeeping
- Three chef-prepared meals daily
- Private dining room for events
- Live music, entertainment, movies, games and arts
- Social and active groups
- Happy hours in the bar/bistro, events and outings
- Media room with TV, library and fitness center
- Beauty salon and barber shop
- Club room
On Top of the World — Clearwater
Clearwater and its beaches are an extremely popular place to visit and to live, especially among seniors — and On Top of the World is one outstanding community just for those ages 55 and older. In addition to the many restaurants, top-ranked beaches and attractions to explore in the area, On Top of the World has many amenities and opportunities for seniors to fully enjoy an active, outdoor lifestyle right there at home. Numerous clubs to join and events to attend make it easy to make friends in a new home here. Whether looking to lease or own, there are a variety of charming condos available within this dynamic community.
- 175 clubs
- 4 tennis courts
- 2 pools
- 2 golf courses
- 1 nature’s gym
- Fitness center
- Dog park
- Pavilion park
- 3 horseshoe pits
- 2 pickleball courts
- 6 lawn bowl courts
- 8 shuffleboard courts
The Retreat at Trinity — Trinity
The Retreat at Trinity is aptly named. With many lavish amenities, this community is designed for seniors 55 and older who have no intentions of slowing down. A dog park, pickleball courts, walking and jogging trails and the Fox Hollow Golf Club are all within walking distance as well.
Enjoy the perks of a maintenance-free lifestyle in pet-friendly apartments. Floor plans vary from one- to two-bedroom .
- Zero-entry, heated lap pool
- Fitness and cardio center
- Poker and billiards room
- Art and crafts room
- Outdoor kitchen area
- Great rooms with card tables and a bar
Point Brittany — St. Petersburg
Seniors will love waterfront living at Point Brittany, a 55-and-older condominium complex in St. Pete’s Bayway Isles community. The condo’s island location about three miles from Fort DeSoto and St. Pete Beach lend itself to numerous outdoor activities.
An array of amenities and events onsite add to the entertainment offerings true to the coastal setting. Within the six high-rise condos are 740 residential units, which vary from one- to three-bedroom condos.
- Four heated swimming pools
- Hot tub
- Four HAR-TRU tennis courts
- Shuffleboard courts
- Pavilion with a firepit
- Waterfront walkway
- Kayak storage and launching dock
- Deep water boat docks
- Fishing pier
- Fitness facility
- Billiard room
- Electric vehicle charging stations
By Brandon Duff.